Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Bride Wore Black Leather: By Simon R. Green


THE BRIDE WORE BLACK LEATHER

SUMMARY

sIn the secret heart of London, under the cover of endless darkness, the Nightside caters to anyone with any unusual itch that needs to be scratched. But enter at your own risk. The party animals who live here may be as inhuman as their appetites...

My name is John Taylor. The Nightside is my home. I didn't plan it that way. In fact, I once tried to get away. But I came back. And now it seems I'm settling down, with a full-time job (in addition to my work as a very private eye) as Walker-the new Voice of the Authorities in the Nightside-and a wedding in the offing.

I'm marrying the love of my life, Suzie Shooter, the Nightside's most fearsome bounty-hunter. But nothing comes easy here. Not life. Not death. And for certain, not happily-ever-after. Before I can say "I do," I have one more case to solve as a private eye-and my first assignment as Walker.

Both jobs would be a lot easier to accomplish if I weren't on the run, from friends and enemies alike. And if my bride-to-be weren't out to collect the bounty on my head...

REVIEW

Say one thing for Simon R. Green, say he writes a darn fun book.

Say another thing for him, say he has done a fantastic job ending his extraordinary Nightside series.

This is the last Nightside book in the series. It is witty, full of fun and creative villains and weapons, and jam packed with action. Readers will be shocked to see John Taylor go head to head with old friends and enemies (no I can’t tell you who otherwise there would be no surprise in the book.) These action scenes are riveting and will captivate readers as John fights for his life in some of the most riveting battles in the series.

Green brings all of his tricks to the fold, as readers are reintroduced to characters from the entire length of the series. We see the Oblivian brothers, Alex, Cathy, Shotgun Suzie, Dead Boy, Razor Eddie, the Griffins, Julian Advent, Old Father Time, and dozens of other characters from the previous books in the series.

Of course while many of these characters do not play substantial roles (it would be to hard to incorporate all of them substantially in the story) they are still fun to read about. Green does a great job wrapping up the series. There’s more action than the last 3 books combined, there are unexpected twists surprises in the plot, and Green ends with a satisfying ending that will leave readers of the Nightside series happy (if not still a little sad to see it end).

That said, Green is famous for interweaving the characters from his other series into his current work (especially in recent years). Because of this it wouldn’t surprise me in the least bit to find we’re able to catch a glimpse or two of John and Suzie somewhere in Green’s upcoming books. So fan’s do not despair, the Nightside is not over, it’s just settled on a nice happy place to rest until Green reintroduces readers to dabblings of it in his future works.

All in all a great ending to a great series.

RATING

9 out of 10

INFO

Publisher: Ace Hardcover

Published: January 3, 2012

Price: $25.95

No comments:

Post a Comment