Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Hero: By Mike Lupica


HERO

SUMMARY

Fourteen-year-old Zach Harriman can feel the changes. The sharpening of his senses. The incredible strength. The speed, as though he can text message himself across miles. The confidence and the strange need to patrol Central Park at night. His dad had been a hero, a savior to America and a confidante of the president. Then he died, and the changes began in Zach. What Zach never knew was that his father was no ordinary man--he was a superhero, battling the world's evil. This is a battle that has been waged for generations and that knows no boundaries.

And now it's Zach's turn to take on the fight. It's Zach's turn to become a hero.

REVIEW

When it comes to elementary and middle school sports novels, Mike Lupica is king. He’s written countless books about everything from football to basketball to baseball, and so when I saw he was coming out with a superhero novel I thought he’d be a great person to write one, (because of his experience with suspense and pace in the story) and so I marked it in my calendar and I couldn’t wait to pick up a copy for myself.

When I picked up Hero though I was a little disappointed, this wasn’t the all inclusive for any age book for I was expecting, this was a superhero book for kids in middle and elementary school (I don’t know why I was expecting anything else, but I was.) Of course even with that disappointment I still decided to finish the book, and I have to say it was pretty good.

Ok, now understand when I say that this book was pretty good, I had decided to try to put myself in the mindset of someone in middle school to better evaluate the book. So when I did that I found the book much more enjoyable and a great book for kids.

Hero is full of mystery, action, and superpowers, what’s not to love? The characters don’t develop as much as one might hope, and the end seems a little corny, but the story and the fun a reader will have reading it are top notch, and in my opinion that’s what matter most. Making this a good book for middle school and elementary school kids (especially boys).

RATING
8 out of 10 (for elementary/middle schoolers)

INFO

Publisher: Philomel

Published: November 2, 2010

Price: $17.99

No comments:

Post a Comment