Monday, March 24, 2014

The Fell Sword: By Miles Cameron

THE FELL SWORD

SUMMARY

Loyalty costs money.

Betrayal, on the other hand, is free.

When the Emperor is taken hostage, the Red Knight and his men find their services in high demand -- and themselves surrounded by enemies. The country is in revolt, the capital city is besieged and any victory will be hard won. But the Red Knight has a plan.

The question is, can he negotiate the political, magical, real and romantic battlefields at the same time -- especially when he intends to be victorious on them all?

REVIEW

While I liked The Fell Sword I didn’t love it.

This was a little bit of a let down because I loved The Red Knight. I thought The Red Knight had complex characters, tons of action, and was a great mix of magic and physical action.

The Fell Sword still had complex characters and intricate plots, but there were to many characters introduced that it took away from the pacing of the story and knocked the reader a little out of the story. I recognize that Cameron wanted to set the pieces for the next book in the series, but I honestly felt that he could have done this with less moving parts.

Speaking of setting things up for the next book in the series, I was very disappointed with the ending of The Fell Sword. I thought Cameron kept building and building towards a big finish, and then not only wasn’t there a big finish, but I didn’t even think Cameron answered questions that needed to be answered in this book (as opposed to questions that are building towards larger story arcs in the next book in the series.)


That said, I still liked The Fell Sword. I thought it had good action and I liked the Red Knight and some of the other characters from the previous book in the series and thought some of the new characters such as Mortimir and Derkensun were great additions. All in all, as so much of The Fell Sword is used to set up the next book in the series, I can’t wait to see what Cameron has waiting for our band of mercenaries in the next book, and I hope it’s not to long of a wait.

INFO

Publisher: Orbit Books

Published: March 11, 2014

Price: $17.00

Link to Buy: http://www.amazon.com/Fell-Sword-Traitor-Son-Cycle-ebook/dp/B00CO7FHX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395678737&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Fell+Sword

No comments:

Post a Comment