Sunday, February 20, 2011

Demonglass: By Rachel Hawkins

DEMONGLASS

SUMMARY

Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie’s a
demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning
someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Acher to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?

REVIEW

When I picked up Hex Hall I wasn’t expecting much from it. It looked like another powers driven teenage love fest that was going to be poorly written and lack any appeal. But I had heard good things so I decided to give it a shot even though my expectations couldn’t have been lower.

I couldn’t have been more wrong.

Hex Hall was fantastic. It had engaging characters, was full of magic, had an interesting story, and was fun and engaging to read.

So when I got Demonglass, my expectations were the polar opposite from my initial expectations of Hex Hall. I expected this sequel to be exciting, action packed, have great characters, and help resolve some of the issues that were left in Hex Hall.

Of course Demonglass didn’t just meet my expectations, it blew them away. Hawkins has done a fantastic job with this series, but really what I was most impressed with were the characters. I’ve read hundreds of young adult books and I have to say pulling off endearing relatable characters is no easy feat. But Hawkins pulls it off with room to spare. Sophie is smart, but full of mistakes. She is just as likely to accidentally give information to the enemy as she is to forget to tell someone pertinent information that seems mundane at the time.

Of course besides well written characters, Demonglass is filled with exciting magic. Yes, at times there could have been more action, but it’s enough to keep the story going. And from the looks of the end of the book, the next book in the series is sure to be filled with tons of action, magic, and surprising twists that will captivate readers of all ages.

I loved Demonglass and I hope Hawkins comes out with the next book soon, because I can’t wait to see what happens next in this fantastic young adult series.


RATING
9 out of 10

INFO

Publisher: Hyperion Book CH

Published: March 1, 2011

Price: $16.99

No comments:

Post a Comment